Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A Dreamy Destination for an Artist, Photographers and Tourists


Hard to believe this is real!
Monet's Gardens at Giverny delivered. For those who love flowers, impressionism and a beautiful French setting in the countryside, Giverny is the place to visit. It's fairly easy to get to by train and is set up for tourists to catch a bus, a bike or a taxi from the village of Vernon, up to the site of Monet's beautiful art. When I first arrived I feared that it would be just a tourist lure, as there was quite a line to get into the gardens. But I bore into it and was not disappointed. I think I took over 100 photos in less than 45 minutes!

Monet's home
Water lilies
I was quited surprised by the artist's house, as it is a fairly nice size, furnished sweetly and adorned with Japanese art. I wondered if maybe it had been changed since his death, however, there are photos of him with the same art on his walls. Unfortunately there are no photos to be taken in the house. However, the gardens and the waterlilies; have at her! And I did. As a flower lover (thanks mom!), it was a true adventure in such a variety of blooms. And they went on and on.

The water lilies are something else! It is just like being in one of his paintings (except for the tourists). There are the bridges, the boats, the weeping trees. I was in awe and loved every minute.

An example of one of the country homes
I spent some time walking through the 'street' of Giverny and taking in beautiful homes that truly capture the French look. It was a beautiful day to venture to the Monet's grave sight as well. I then headed back into Paris, sharing great conversation with a woman from Spain taking a 3 week French language course just outside of Paris (hmmmm, sounds intriguing...).


More cheese...and bread!

Then it was back to the big city to do a bit of shopping and actual buying! Had a nice dinner in the Latin Quarter which is always so fun to walk through. Thought I might have even been sick of cheese until I had the warm goat cheese salad, nope, still loving the cheese. Note, not only does bread come with the meal, but also is on the salad! Oh my!  Followed by a crepe for dessert and I think we can call it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment