Sunday, August 1, 2010

Lazy, Hazy Day

Had to include a token pigeon shot - he too was having a lazy day in Paris!
My Cafe
I guess you could call it a lazy and somewhat hazy day here. A lot of things are closed, either just pour dimanche or some people just close up shop for the summer days and leave the city. My lazy day started with a visit to the local market down the street from me. The merchants were particularly friendly today and many called out to get me to buy or gave free samples. The cutest little old lady that I purchased a tomato/cheese tarte from, gave me a cream puff type deal sans la creme (you may ask what's the point, but it was still good and a generous gesture). Of course a Sunday morning, or pretty much any morning here would not be complete without my cafe au lait at my favourite little cafe down the street. It really is literally at the bottom of stairs at the end of my short little street!
I slowly got my butt in gear to get to an art market in the Montparnasse area and enjoyed many of the pieces by local artists. I supported one; a colorful piece of Notre Dame. After that, laziness truly kicked in. I had packed a little picnic and went to the Luxembourg Gardens. Spent most of the afternoon reading there and taking in the beautiful setting. When the sun peeked out, it was hot!

Bee Keeping in the Gardens


Lazy was lost when I decided to walk home and saw what feels like most of the south east quadrant of the city! Guess I was feeling like I needed to burn off that creme brulee I had stopped for earlier...
That brings me into the evening already and the sun is out finally so just enjoying my open windows and the sounds of the street below.


You didn't think I'd let a day pass without a food picture!
The Louis Vuitton Window on Champs Elysee
A few of you have asked about prices. Hmmm. I'm not going to say it's really cheap here, I would say that food is rather pricy if you eat out a lot. I have mainly had one bigger meal in the day and then either buy snacks (ie decadent pastries, ice cream, kir) throughout the day. The picnic thing really is the ideal and I enjoy the open markets and small little places to pick up this and that. My cafe (it is now in the possessive) is mostly reasonable, wine is cheaper than coffee there and a cafe au lait is 3 euros. Not too terribly different from Starbucks, and the coffee is so much better, REALLY (but so much smaller of course)! This is coming from a starbucks addict. As for everything else, real estate seems varied. Apartments can range from 80000 E to 2 million from what I've viewed. I compare it to home and then I remember it's an apartment! Clothes and stuff is comparable depending where you shop. Monoprix is a department store that might compare to Sears? LaFayette would be an upscale Holt Renfrew. Then there are the boutiques and designers and some of the Louis Vuitton prices I have viewed are outrageous. So hopefully that answers some questions!
There's also been some questions about cleanliness. Heather, you warned me it's not a clean city. No, it's not. There is a lingering pee smell in many places and dogs aren't often cleaned up after. However, there are garbage facilities and recycling available all along the street and I find it ironic and a little disruptive to have the loudest possible garbage pick up twice every morning (even Sundays!). Upkeep of public facilities is really constant as well, even the public toilets (which I had an entertaining encounter in, but that's for another blog).
Hope everyone is having the most relaxing of long weekends at home! Love to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment