Sunday, August 1, 2010

Morocco, Marais and Music

The Marais District

My Paris Maillot!

A girl cannot live on bread, cheese and wine, although I've been trying very hard! So I had a few quests in mind yesterday. First one was to find a bike store and check out their goods. I had 2 in mind, but unfortunately the one combined with a chocolate theme was no longer at its address that I had. So St. Laurent's family bike store it was. I managed to find a great little jersey (maillot) in a very very crowded little environment. Happy to have got there right in the midst of a quick rain shower - my timing was impeccable.

My second quest was to find a Moroccan restaurant (you didn't think I could stay off the topic of food for long...) for couscous. I had read about 404, which was the quaintest little authentic restaurant, just off the Marais district, and I was not disappointed. I ate a delicious roasted red pepper, garlic and tomato salad as a starter and it was soooo tasty! The couscous was divine and is meant for you to combine on your own. So a separate plate of the best couscous I've had, to be mixed with a delicious vegetable stew (there are many varieties with meat as well), and raisins, chick peas and some really hot and spicy sauce. I was so hungry at this point but couldn't eat even half it was so large. But I enjoyed every morsel and the servers were really helpful. Others in the restaurant were having a brunch which looked terrific as well. If I had more time...
YUM!

So, let the shopping begin. The Marais district, right around the City Hall (L'hotel de ville), is where I headed right after my late lunch. This is an area with a rather liberal crowd and many little stores, cafes, museums. Victor Hugo spent time in this area, living and writing there. I did visit the little square he frequented and actually had a little nap in the park there (after devouring a wonderful "little" cream and chocolate mousse filled cake, with pears on top).


But back to shopping. I think I'm in trouble here! The boutiques are so cute, unique and special. There are sales on. There are a lot of stores. Uh oh. Enough said. The only drawback is that because the fashions are often one of a kind, they don't always have my size. One could see this as a blessing, or a downfall. I haven't bought anything yet...

The rest of the day, into evening, was spent at the City Hall listening to some great bands (one was called Lily Wood and the Prick - pronounced Preek (ha!)). It was part of the Beach Summer series for those Parisians stuck in the city in the warm months. I loved sitting out until about 10 in the warm air, taking in the music, the people and the city. There was a most entertaining man dancing and I did catch a video of him, but not sure I can post it here with my technology. I have to admire the drinking laws here though (there virtually are none from what I know). No one abuses it or seems to overdo it. Kinda nice to see.

My day ended at my local cafe where my 'monsieur' offered me a kir with framboise which was a nice tasty diversion from the black currant variety. I love this drink. Quite sweet and fruity and the other day I had one of my favourites that was almost floral. A nice summer refreshment.

But that's when I called it a night! And...another wonderful day in Paris!

2 comments:

  1. I love reading about your trip--and the food. I just booked our hotel in the Marais district! I am so excited. Sounds like such a fantastic trip, Tanis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa! That is such a perfect place for you to stay! I keep thinking of you and your trip which must be anyday! Bon Vacances!

    ReplyDelete