Thursday, August 5, 2010

Happy Time!

Even the pigeons will be missed?
My niece Carly calls Happy Hour, Happy Time. I think that the Parisians also have happy time; all the time! And I am so fortunate to have experienced this alongside them and within this wonderful city I have fallen in love with. So bare with me as I reflect on some of my memories, or happy time!

Happy Time - sleeping with my shuttered windows open every night and feeling the fresh air waft over me.
Happy Time - not just one, but two garbage pick ups every morning (even Sunday). And these trucks are not any quiet sort but reminded me of a great attempt to keep the city clean. They also acted as a very diligent alarm each day!


Happy Time - people greeting one another with the double kiss
Happy time - the two gentlemen yelling very loudly outside my window reminding me of the passionate French people. They were yelling at each other and were not so happy. Maybe it was about curbing their dogs? Maybe it was a domestic dispute? Nonetheless, they were not happy!
Happy Time - a kir (wine and black currant sweet decadence) on a cafe, street front
Happy Time - pink toilet paper!
Happy Time - accordian music on the metro
Happy Time - wine, cheese, bread, wine, cheese, bread, wine, cheese, bread...
Happy Time - saying bonjour and au revoir everytime you enter and exit a store. Makes it so much more personal.
Happy Time - creme brulee!
Happy Time - feeling safe most everywhere
Happy Time - the flowers, the markets, the cafes, the parks, the gardens, the architecture, the people, the language, the pastries and the art of the patisserie, the music, the metro, the pigeons, the dogs............


As you can see, Happy Time far outweighs the unhappy time here in Paris. I have absolutely adored my trip and could stay another 3 weeks and still not have tried every food item, viewed every historic venue or been in every boutique that I would like. My experiences as they are have been absolutely memorable and I will look back on it all with a great adoration. However, sadly I must say bon soir to the city of lights and be hopeful that I will return another time.

Thanks to all of you who have shared the journey with me, it has been so much fun to correspond and highlight my wandering experiences! I look forward to talking to each of you soon in person,

Love, Tanis xo (and that's a french kiss (now now, think one cheek then the other people!!))
C'est fini!

No comments:

Post a Comment